Saturday, March 10, 2007

Kontrol Freek - Are you kidding me?

For those of you that tend to lose control of your thumbs while playing Gears of War and Halo, have I got a product for you! The brilliant minds at Kontrol Freek have decided that this problem has reached epidemic levels and have (thankfully!) engineered a solution to the problem. For the low, low price of $9.95 per pair, you can buy little green plastic...things to keep your thumbs from flying off the control sticks during your next gaming session. Now, I'm not much of a console gamer, cleaving to my PC as much as I can. I admit it. But I do play (poorly) on the 360 and the Wii whenever I'm not parked in front of a keyboard and mouse. Even with my meager abilities though, I have somehow mastered keeping my thumbs on the sticks in the midst of close-quarters shotgun combat without that much effort. I know, I know; it's insane. Pssst, Kontrol Freek. You want me to buy something that will help me control a console better? Start selling a $10 hookup cable for a keyboard and mouse so I can use my Logitech G5 when I'm playing Gears. Thumbs down, say I.

- Glock

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

It's difficult to imagine how effective these things could be. but they ROCK. I just got a set--I placed my order after reading an IGN review that praised the KontrolFreek for racing games. I've been playing it with Motogp 07, and in only five minutes of play I was able to conclude that I've never felt more in control of the bike. It's a pretty amazing little add-on. It adds to the stick control surfaces by 200% and actually changes how you steer. Instead of pushing down and away from center on the thumbstick, I found myself pulling up and away in a much more fluid, continuous movement. It's a simple matter of leverage. Much less oversteering and unbelievably more precise and immediate corrections.

I don't own any shooters at the moment, so I can't comment on everything you said in your post, but Halo 3 is just around the corner. I've read mixed reviews for the KontrolFreek on shooters, but I'll give it a try and get back to you. I suspect even with shooters it'll dramatically improve control.

Bottom line: if you play driving games, you will appreciate it.

Chris

Anonymous said...

The product you have pictured here is called the SpeedFreek. Its for racing games. Not FPS games. You can now buy the FPS freek which is for first person shooters.

Anonymous said...

I almost said the exact same thing as above (good thing I can read). I would just like to add that the FPS-Freek works, and is based on physics and geometry. By doubling the length of the joystick you half the relative displacement of the joystick giving more precision while joystick sensitivity is maxed; no need to stiffen your hand trying to prevent over compensating if caught off guard. It so simple that it is brilliant!

Anonymous said...

I think its funny how you tried to use speedfreeks for an FPS, and ranted about how useless they were. Next time you write a review, use the right set of freeks.